WML #if construct

Anyone out there is using wml?
Why does the following construct print 'boo':

#if 0
boo
#endif

Here is the longer story:

wml is eating the #if stuff in the first pass (treating them as comment). If i
use wml -p3 directly then its ok, because eperl can see the construct. I can
use a <protect pass=1> with the same effect. Using \# does not work because
backslashes are not removed in the first pass, so pass 3 still sees them.

I have now downloaded the source code and corrected this, hmm, feature. But I
think i might be missing something cuz it looks quite stupid to me.

Any idea? I should add that I am not using the debian package, I have the
upstream source (1.6.8 (12-01-1999)).

-Lex

(please cc replies to me as i am subscribed to digest only)