Re: Running X-Displays of win9x

Peter Ludwig wrote:

> Just a quick note, has anyone know a program that can be easily setup that
> will allow win9x to connect to the x-windows server on a linux box?
>
> I'm trying to set this up in two places one isn't really important, just
> my place, but the other one is for a business, we'd like to be able to
> provide some of our customers with that capability (we provide accounting
> software that runs off the linux server, and we'd like them not to
> actually have physical access to the server...)
>
> All help will be appreciated, even man page references <grin>.  Programs,
> etc that will be required will be organised, we just would like to be able
> to provide this to our customers :-)
>
> Regards,
>         Peter Ludwig

If I understand what you're asking, you can install a
Windows-based X server on the Windows PC, then telnet to the
Linux box and set your DISPLAY environment variable to tell the
apps to display on your Windows box, then run X apps and they'll
display on the Windows box.

There are several X servers available for Windows, but if you're
working on the cheap, search for MIX (or MiX, or something
similar = "MicroImages X"); it's a freebie that's half-decent. If
you want full-decent, you'll probably have to shell out a few
bucks.