Re: managing multiple ISPs

John Hasler wrote:
> > I have been configuring my resolv.conf for DNS servers that do not belong
> > to my ISP all the time.
>
> This will work, but it is a bit discourteous to use servers you aren't
> helping pay for.

> > Finally, you can always run your own basic nameserver on your computer to
> > speed things up even more.

This is the best solution.

> Which will need nameservers to forward requests to.

It doesn't, actually.  named will just contact the root server and find
out from it where to get the information from.  It might be a little
slower at first than using a forwarder, but the entries you use will
stay in cache and you won't have to deal with the hassles of screwed up
setups at your isp.

Just make sure you have a valid root cache file (which was installed
when you installed bind iirc) and you should be fine.

I stopped using other people's nameservers several isps ago - the only
thing I use an isp for anymore is usenet.

--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.