Re: managing multiple ISPs

Nitebirdz writes:
> As far as I know, DNS servers are public.

Not always, though public ones will always work.

> I have been configuring my resolv.conf for DNS servers that do not belong
> to my ISP all the time.

This will work, but it is a bit discourteous to use servers you aren't
helping pay for.

> Finally, you can always run your own basic nameserver on your computer to
> speed things up even more.

Which will need nameservers to forward requests to.

Salman Ahmed wrote:
> Should I just add the nameserver entries for the new ISP to this
> /etc/resolv.conf file ?

Don't bother.

> Will it take longer for hostnames to be resolved since there are now 4
> entries in the /etc/resolv.conf but only two of them are "valid"
> depending on which ISP I am connecting to/from ??

The resolver gives up after trying the first three.  In practice, though,
your old ISP's servers will work fine with the new ISP.  Just leave them as
is until you decide what you are going to do.

> I am wondering if there are other people who have had to keep two (or
> more ISPs) and what other things they have had to configure, setup,
> etc. for the different ISPs ??

If you upgrade to pppconfig-2.0 and re-do your connections with it you will
be able to arrange to use the correct nameservers for each ISP.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)