Re: Getting GNOME to start from Enlightenment

*- On  8 Nov, Patrick Kirk wrote about "Getting GNOME to start from Enlightenment"
> Hi all,
>
> I want to elegance of E with the usefulness of GNOME.  But when I try to start GNOME from an eterm, I get this...
>

> $ panel
> /dev/dsp: Permission denied
>
> Anyone seen it before?

I don't user either but this looks like a simple permission problem. By
default /dev/dsp is is owned by root with group audio.  So your user
must be in the audio group.  'adduser <user> audio' should get you past
the above problem.  You might have to restart X to get the group
noticed, use the 'id' command to check that the current shell knows you
are in the audio group.

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you