Re: printing to shared remote printer (Win95) using lpr

*- On  5 Nov, Charles Lewis wrote about "printing to shared remote printer (Win95) using lpr"
> I apologize if this has been discussed already or if this is off topic, but
> I'm still learning samba and I can't figure out this problem. I'm trying
> configure my samba/debian box to allow printing to a shared printer on a
> win95 machine. Any help is appreciated.
>
> In printcap:
>
> ljsaturn|HP Laserjet 6P
>      :rm=saturn.ois.swau.edu
>      :rp=hplj6p
>      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljsaturn
>      :mx#0
>      :lp=/dev/null
>      :sh
>      :sf
>
> I can print from another Windows machine (through the samba share
> \\saturn\hplj6p). However, when I'm on the samba server and type 'lpr -P
> hplj6p /etc/samba/smb.conf' for instance, I get the following errors:

Windows doesn't have by default an lpr daemon so you can not use the rp
rules in printcap.  You need to have an input filter(if) that sends the
print job out via smbclient to the windows machine.  A sample
script(smbprint) is provided in the samba-doc package in the examples
directory under /usr/doc/samba-doc.  There is documentation in the
smbprint file on how to set it up.  I have never done it but it looks
pretty straight forward.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.