Re: how to compile packages optimized for Pentium or Pentium-II?

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 09:57:07AM -0600, Brian Boonstra wrote:
> Ingo wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 05:08:04PM +0100, Robert Varga wrote:
> > >
> > > How can I recompile the packages so that they be optimized for running on
> > > Pentium or Pentium-II or else?
>
> Does that mean that gcc normally is NOT Pentium optimized?

No. GCC can optimize for pentiums, by default it compiles for i386 though.
This is needed so that we don't produce code which wont run on some
systems that we want to support. All that is need is the proper CFLAGS set
(which I assume the scripts that replace the normal gcc and g++ merely add
these manually, and without the need for modifying the build).

Ben