Re: Installing Debian slink (X)

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 06:06:09PM +0100, Daan van der Sanden wrote:
> I just installed debian Slink, and I am trying to configure X with
> XF86Setup. But I can't configere my Mouse. I have an PS/2 mouse from
> Microsoft (i'm sorry), and this is on the buttom of the mouse:
>
> IntelliMouse(r) 1.1 A PS/2 compatible. It also has an wheel on it. But it
> don't has to work.
>
> But when I choose IntelliMouse en /dev/pcaux (or something) The system
> crashes, and my computer doesn'respond to anything. I also tried another
> combinations, but everytime the system crashes.

I've got one of these too.  You need to be a bit careful, I think X
defines an intellimouse as one of those Logitech ones, not the
Microsoft version.  I have the following in /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "IMPS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   BaudRate        1200
#   Emulate3Timeout 50
   Resolution      100
#   Emulate3Buttons
   ZAxisMapping    4 5
EndSection

When I set up X, I don't think you could configure this using
XF86Setup (i.e. no option to choose it).  If that is still true then
what I suggest you do is set up your mouse as ordinary PS/2 mouse,
check that works (if it doesn't, then the crashing is probably nothing
to do with your mouse but some other part of your X config), and then
edit your XF86Config file by hand similar to the above.

Hope that helps,

Ian.