Re: sound problems: what next?

Chris Mayes wrote:

> Well, I installed a new kernel in the hopes that my recent sound problems
> were a result of corrupt modules, but no luck.  Same errors.  TO recap, here
> are the errors:
>
> ----
> loop awe_wave AWE32: not detected
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module synth0
> /dev/sequencer: Device not configured
> /lib/modules/2.2.13/misc/awe_wave.o: post-install awe_wave failed
> /lib/modules/2.2.13/misc/awe_wave.o: insmod awe_wave failed
> Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
> SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
> SB16: Bad or missing 16 bit DMA channel
> YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
> 1993-1996
> ----
>
> Any ideas on what to try next?  Should I try another module?  Am I missing
> one?  Here's what I have selected (according to modconf):
>
> awe-wave, opl3, sb, sound, soundcore, soundlow.
>
> Should I select uart401?  Deselect opl3?  It's not a hardware problem.  My
> mandrake partition has no problems whatsoever.  Should I try
> upgrading/reinstalling another package outside of the kernelspace?  I was
> about to include the isapnp config message from boot time, but it didn't
> make it into /var/log/messages.  Any idea where that might show up?  It was
> detected without any errors that I noticed, anyway.
>
> If it'll help: I'm running Debian Potato, 2.2.13, SB AWE64.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Chris

Chris,

The order in which you select the modules is important.

You also have not sent the correct 16-bit DMA to the module .... it should match the
relevant setting in isapnp.conf.

I'd imagine it's on irq 5, io 220, dma's 1 and 5.

In modconf, select (in this order - you may have to go through and unload any that
are loaded first) -

1. sound <- possibly pass parameter dmabuf=1 - if you have a decent amount of RAM -
gives persistent DMA buffers

2. sb <- with parameter line -> io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330 (or replace
with your own settings)

3. soundlow

4. awe_wave

5. opl3 <- with parameter line ->  io=0x388

Mail me back if you're still haviong problems - might be isapnp related.

Jonathan