Re: Sun goes fully open source! [OT]

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 03:37:29PM -0700, aphro wrote:
> i used to like IE more teh NS (back in 3.x) but ever since 4.x ive been
> devoted to NS.  all the security problems and that whole activeX thing
> bugs me.  that and the fact that i got mod_roaming for netscape, to update
> my prefs/bookmarks/etc so my 500bookmarks are always available wherever i
> may be. only thing i'd chjange about netscape is make different binaries
> for each app(composer/navigatgor/mail/news) so if one crashes it doesnt
> bring all of em down.
>
> nate
>
> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> >
> > We shouldnt cheat outselves.
> > M$IE is much better than NS and there are plenty of users which will
> > chose it if it only will came available on Linux.
> > Some day gzilla may came the best browser in the world but
> > if M$ make port of IE before this time it can make a lot of mess
> > in the free software community

ActiveX is easy to set off. I dont think NS is more secure than IE
(IE's security is more customizable and althru it had dumb defaults
one can make it reasonably secure by chosing proper options)
And IE is more efficent. I could have on M$WIN/IE box 20+ pages
(waiting for others to load) and did it often (list archives for ex)
With Linux/NS its difficult to have 5 pages opened at the same time
I also dont need mailer inside a browser