Re: Mail woes after upgrade to potato

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 10:38:15PM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:

> 1. eximconfig -i seems to start exim.  How do I stop it and restart it?
> pstree shows no exim.

If exim is being run from inetd it won't be a continually running
process but instead will only be started when something actually wants
to talk to it.  This is the default mode of operation.

> 2. How can I get fetchmail added to the daemons that are controlled from
> init.d?  I know there's a skeleton there but I don't want to spend ages
> rebooting to get it working.  Does anyome have a working script?

Take the skeleton and replace the start-stop-daemon line in start with

   su username -c "fetchmail -ad 600"

(username being the user you run fetchmail as and the bit in quotes
being your favoured method of starting fetchmail).  If there's any
output produced by that command, you may want to redirect it to
/dev/null.  Change the equivalent bit in stop to say

   su username -c "fetchmail -q"

I actually do this in ip-up.d and ip-down.d, but the idea is the same
regardless.

> 3. I had fetchmail running in daemon mode when exim was not for 4 hours.
> Anyone got any thoughts on what became of the messages I sent and the
> messages that were pulled down by fetchmail during this period.

They ought to still be sitting on the server (possibly marked as read -
you may need to use the -a option to pull them down).  Fetchmail doesn't
delete messages until it the SMTP server says its accepted them.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/