x-windows

Like another post to this list recently(Bryan Walton w. response from
Kent West), I have a problem starting x. I have the directory /etc/X11
and a file for XF86(I did choose to install x during the dselect
process: desktop system) however, when I  startx I get a fatal error and
the following:
    _X11 TransSocket Unix Connect:Can't connect errno+111 giving up
xinit:Connection refused errno111 unable to connect to x server...
waiting for x server to shut down...init: x server slow to shut down
sending kill signal
xinit:no such process (errno3):server error

could someone help us bring up something besides the command line,
however I am learning by need.
thanks...ray ferrari