Re: Postgresql Beginner

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 02:32:32AM -0400,
Bob Bernstein <ruptured-duck@home.com> wrote:
> This novice is confused by the role of the user 'postgres'. It seems I can't
> do anything with this package unless I first su to root user, then su again to
> 'postgres' user.

All you have to do as postgres is add and destroy users. Use the command
'createuser' to add yourself. I used the same username and user id as in
/etc/passwd, but I'm not sure that's necessary. Give yourself permission
to create databases. Now you can do all your work without being root.

> I would gladly be directed to a usable FAQ for beginners. The Postgresql
> HOW-TO is long on philosophy and testing, but lacking in basic intro kind of
> stuff.

Install postgresql-doc and check out /usr/doc/postresql-doc/index.html for
lots of good information.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman--a rope over an abyss.
 A dangerous across, a dangerous on-the-way, a dangerous looking-back,
 a dangerous shuddering and stopping."
 --Friedrich Nietzsche