Postgresql Beginner

This novice is confused by the role of the user 'postgres'. It seems I can't
do anything with this package unless I first su to root user, then su again to
'postgres' user.

I have created a db, such as 'mydatabase,' but I feel like I'm missing
something. Surely there's a way to allow an "ordinary" user to use a
Postgresql database.

One symptom of my ignorance is that in trying to run the KDE client (KMySql)
when I try to create a form I get a "check permissions" error message.

I would gladly be directed to a usable FAQ for beginners. The Postgresql
HOW-TO is long on philosophy and testing, but lacking in basic intro kind of
stuff.

tia!

--
Bob Bernstein                http://members.home.net/ruptured-duck
at

"I think it's a bad treaty." Henry Kissinger in The Washington Post, 10/14/99.