linux kernel compile
First I would just like to thank the people behind the Debian
I work with software and have been very impressed with the way they have
organized their system distribution updates. to me ( still a "newbie")
dselect is a vital tool worth it's weight in gold!
1.) I installed Debian GNU/ Linux 2.1 using floppy images downloaded
- My system is Dual pentium 200 Mhz, 3Com 3C905, NE2000 ( linksys-
isa), Diamond Firport HP C310 SCSI-2 , with 96 Meg ram, Acer CD-ROM
- Install worked great and when I boot up I get eth0 (3Com) and
(ne2000), all modules loaded perfectly no erroneous messages on boot
- However no SMP support and driver for the 3Com card does not work
correct (messages in /var/log/syslog problems with irq)
- DHCPD client daemon started ( I want to use a cable modem) no
address from ifconfig -a for eth1.
2.) I recompile my kernel using "make-kpkg" and kernel-source-2.0.36
- make menuconfig
- make dep
- make-kpkg clean
- make-kpkg --revision=smp700 kernel-image
- make-kpkg --revision=smp700 modules-image
- dpkg --install kernel-source-2.0.36_smp700_i386.deb
- here I have to mv /lib/modules/2.0.36 to /lib/modules/2.0.36.old
- then I get prompted to make a boot floppy since I cannot boot
my scsi (bios does not see it) I attempt it
- use your current /etc/lilo.conf? I say yes
- error testing lilo.conf........etc
- re execute dpkg --install kernel-source-2.0.36_smp700_i386.deb
- create boot floppy and new lilo.conf
3.) When I reboot I lose my eth1 (NE2000) and get multiple messages such
cannot find module ne.............etc
- SMP works great, no eth1, eth0 works just fine( 3C905), dhcpcd
problems great (no interface..attached to eth1)
- If i try to boot off an old floppy (not created by compile) I
get the same messages but with no SMP support.
I believe something about the way I compiled my kernel is causing me
problems. However I selected "Loaded modules support" and the drivers
required for both ethernet cards. i.e. 3c59x and ne.
What can I do to get both ethernet cards working and all modules loaded
boot time and still keep my SMP support?
and help is greatly appreciated.Thank You!