external modem problem

Aaargh.  I had posted about a problem I was having with my external
modem a few days ago and then it suddenly started working.  Well now,
without my having done anything much, it now seems to have stopped
working.

I'm running Potato with a 2.2.12 kernel.  The modem is a US Robotics 56k
Fax modem.  After not working (i.e., it would not respond to AT
commands) it started working fine once I compiled plug and play support
into the kernel.  Since then, I've installed a few packages, worked on
getting mail set-up, and struggled somewhat with PCMCIA -- but haven't
touched anything obviously related to the modem.  But now it won't
work!  When I start Minicom, the TR light on the modem lights up, but
the modem won't respond to any AT commands.  This is incredibly
frustrating.  I would appreciate any help.

Richard