MD5/bigcrypt passwords with potato

I did this on RedHat months ago, and how do I do it in potato?  I want
passwords longer than 8 chars, whether it be MD5 or bigcrypt or whatever,
I don't care how (although I'd like to be able to preserve other people's
old passwords, if it's easy enough), but I miss this functionality in
RedHat, and I suspect it's possible with Debian.

--
"I already have all the latest software."
     -- Laura Winslow, "Family Matters"

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/spamoff.htm
GnuPG Public Key:   http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5  695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0