Re: runlevel management and netbase

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Ethan Benson wrote:

> I have found and RTFM on update-rcd but it does not seem to be really
> equivalent to chkconfig (only works to add a symlink not change
> existing ones nor list the status of a service for a specified
> runlevel...)

update-rc.d expects you to remove the old symlinks before adding new ones.
I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to write some sort of prog that would do
what the RedHat tools do. Or, you could always just port those RedHat
tools over (probably need at least some reconfiguration, since RH puts
/etc/init.d in /etc/rc.d/init.d)

> the way I see it to stop a service from running on a runlevel I could
> a) rm the service symlink from the appropriate rc?.d  or b) mv Sblah
> Kblah (tedious)

B would be the way to go.

> also I am wondering if debian leaves the runlevels function to the
> sole discretion of the admin?

Absolutely. Although, when you install new services you'll probably have
to go in by hand and change them to match your settings. E.g. if you
install ssh sometime after you do all this, it'll be set up to start in
2345. To make it not run in 2, you'll have to do the editing again.

If you find a package that overwrites your changes on a simple upgrade, i
would think that would be a bug you should report. Patches are usually
welcomed ;)

> I see that after a install 2345 are all exactly the same (ie start
> every service in existence and X too)  I think I will probably setup
> the runlevels like redhat does 2 -> multiuser no/minimal network
> stuff, 3 -> full multiuser networked mode, 5 -> same as 3 plus X.
> does this violate any debian conventions that would cause me annoyance
> in the future?  (redhat is riddled with traps like this...)

Debian tries to leave you as few traps as possible. There should be no
problems, except that new services problem mentioned above.

> another oddity I noticed is there is a netbase script which appears
> to start telnet and about a dozen other services that are also run
> out of inetd, why? should both netbase and inetd not be run at the
> same time?  looking at the netbase script it appears to do a couple
> other things as well but mostly it just seems to make sure your
> running as many services as possible :)

i don't have a netbase script on my potato system. Could you do a "dpkg -S
/etc/init.d/netbase" and find out where it comes from?

> is there a migrate from redhat faq anywhere? I don't remember seeing
> one, if not maybe I will write one after I get to know debian better
> if people think something like that would be useful.

i had thought there was one somewhere, but i can't seem to find it...

> I am running potato btw.

- --
  finger for PGP public key.