Re: Sudo and other root-based security issues

David J. Kanter writes:
> But since some commands require root access, and it's a pain to su root
> all the time, how secure is it to run sudo on something like wvdial or
> slrnpull?

wvdial should not require root if your user is in group dip (wvdial may
also require 'dialout': pon does not).  I've never used slrnpull, but I'd
be surprised if it cannot be run as news.

> I'm generally under the impression that once logged on as root and
> on-line with the Internet, anyone can crack into my system. This has got
> to be wrong, right?

Right.  The cracker would rather you were not logged in at all.
john@dhh.gt.org            Do with it what you will.