seg faults while building kernel

Hello

When I try to build a kernel the debian way, I get a seg fault. On my previous linux system this never happened. I'm trying to build a custom 2.0.36 kernel but may switch to 2.2 if that will help. The error is:

make: *** [first/rule] Segmentation fault
make: *** [first/rule] error 2

I'm able to reproduce this problem every time by doing the following:
cd /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.0.36
/usr/sbin/make-kpkg clean
/usr/sbin/make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.1 kernel-image

Then it happens. Any ideas? At the moment I'm using debian 2.1r3(slink) but will probably update to the snapshot of the potato version as it will fix some other problems I'm having with my sound card and sox.

Jacob