Re: Admin group?

> Ultimately, I want to have 2 accounts for myself (1 being root,
> the other being a normal user.)  I also would like to create
> a few accounts for friends.  My normal user account will
> be added to the member of the "adm" group.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) What is the best way to prevent other users (except for my
>    normal user) from running programs like dmesg?  I suppose
>    I could always chgrp the programs to "adm", and change
>    permissions to -rwxr-x---.  Is this the recommended way?

Generally, yes, that's close to the preferred way (many people with a BSD
tradition like to use the group wheel).

> 4) What binaries do you suggest putting in the "adm" group?

su, dmesg, and anything you don't feel comfortable with other people
running; the first two being some of the most important.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein