Re: seg faults while building kernel

"Jacob Schmude

> Hello
>
> When I try to build a kernel the debian way, I get a seg fault. On my previous linux system this never happened.

Was the previou s linux system on this or other hardware?
If other, then I suspect your current hardware. Read the Sig11 faq.
Often a go-faster option that is enabled pushes the machine into instability
that is clearly evident when the machine is compiling a kernel and less
obvious at other times; another cause can be a bug in the motherboard.
A slow process of elimination is required to determine the precise cause of
the problem; I had trouble with one motherboard which I traced to the bios
option "NA# asserted" _or_ to having more than 64MB of ram fitted. Great,
eh?

Andrew
--
http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=45690