Re: ipupload

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 02:17:39AM +0530, T.V.Gnanasekaran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am connecting and disconnecting to the net over a modem line. My ISP
> gives dynamic IPs.
> I want to upload the IP that I get from my ISP to a website so that my
> friends can come to know if I am online. I also want to upload the

I don't know if that's such a good idea...How tight is your security?

> file to my website. But when I disconnect I can execute another script
> in ip-down.d because I use 'kill `cat /var/run/ppp0.d`' which is not a
> proper downing of route ppp0.

  Since the ip-down script run *after* the link goes down, you obviously
  can't put the script there. I have something similar, so I can ftp
  files to/from my machine at work. I wrote wrapper scripts around pon
  and use a cron job's to automatically start and stop the links during
  business hours. You'll probably want a wrapper script to ftp that
  you're no longer online that *waits* for the job to finish and then
  brings down the connection.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |