Re: udma66 ...

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 09:03:00PM -0600, Alexis Maldonado wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm using a Western Digital Expert (2MB Cache, 7200RPM), with a Promise
> Ultra/66 board, and kernel 2.2.12 with the hedrick patches.
>
> hdparm -t /dev/hde gives me 22.5 MB/s

:( I still have 14.81, just like under UDMA33 (and I'm sure the HD's hard
setup is good for UDMA66, also I tryied to setup the jumpers for cable-
select, but it changed nothing)

> If I don't turn on the UDMA/66 feature (through this line in lilo.conf:
> append = "ide2=ata66") the drive runs noticeably slower, I think hdparm -t
            ^^^^^^^^^^
Haaa, thanks a lot, now I have a brand new nice /dev/hde, instead of /hdg!

> I think that proves that at least in my case, there is some benefit of the
> UDMA/66 bus.

That what I was looking for, not 33 MB/s, but, at least a 15-20% increasing
performances.

Thanks Alexis, even if I cannot actually gain speed, I have the right device
name.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>