Re: udma66 ...

Oleg Krivosheev <kriol@fnal.gov> writes:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Jean-Yves BARBIER wrote:
[snip]
> > and why does the speed (hdparm -t ..) still the same than under
> > udma33? (and I'm sure that udma66 is Ok on this drive, through the
> > dos utility).
>
> Are you sure that all the bells are on?
>
> though i'm yet to meet drive which could saturate even UDMA(33)

I'll have to second this. If you try this drive on a 33M bus, and it's
the only device on the bus, you're not likely to see any improvement
just by sticking it on a 66M bus. The drive is the limiting factor
here. I don't think there's a single-disk system that does much above
20M or so.

In other words, you won't see the advantage of 66M bus, over the 33M,
unless you stick something like a RAID on it, or transfer only from
the devices cache.

Gary