Re: Debian/Slink Connection Speed...too slow

> well, here on my slink system I have added to the provider file these
> lines:
> bsdcomp 15,15
> deflate 15,15
> vj=max-slots 16
> mru 576
> mtyu 576

vj=max-slots 16?  make sure that's not an = sign, but a - (I assume it's a
typo)

> notice, my modem is a 28800 modem, so the mru and mtu lines shuold be
> changed to what? maybe 384? or 288? I don't know... and my internet
> connection stills very slow... by using pppstas, I can see that my
> averaging download speed is 800 bytes/second, on a maximun of 1000
> bytes/second. haven't changed too much... oh, and I'm just using wvdial
> to connect...

576 has nothing to do with modem speed, it has to do with the maximum
packet size of your incoming/outgoing packets?  Bigger ones have to be
fragmented by other routers, thus making things slower.

I've never used wvdial.  I usually just run pppconfig, then pon/poff to
initialise and end my ppp connection.

> just because I'm nervous, I'm downloading the all potato distrb. on my
> other system (redhat, same machine...) and I'm almost finishing, and I
> also upgrade what I could on my slink (and now it even starts with the
> message potato gnu/linux, not slink gnu/linux but there are a lot of
> things missing...)
>
> well, I'll keep connecting with my redhat till I solve this problem or
> isdn (or any other things, such as adsl, cable modem, or something to
> connect with high speed) gets cheaper here in brazil :)
> bye,
> rafael

It might have something to do with your kernel or your pppd.  Newer
kernels might have better support for compression, routing and the like.
Same goes for pppd.

Sorry I can't help you that much.

--
"I already have all the latest software."
     -- Laura Winslow, "Family Matters"

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/spamoff.htm
GnuPG Public Key:   http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5  695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0