Debian/Slink Connection Speed...too slow

hy there,
        I've just installed debian slink and I'd like to upgrade it
to potato, but my internet connection is very slow. I have a usr
sportster 28800, and on my redhat 6.0 (on the same machine...) I can
do downloads from ftp.debian.org at least at 3.0 K/s, and on slink,
only 956 B/s, if I am lucky... this way I'll never get potato at al...
:)
Using pppstats (pppstats -w 1) on redhat, the average is about 3500 or
3600
Bytes/second, but on debian it never passes 900 Bytes/second.
I use wvdial to connect because with any other method (minicom, pon,
ppp-on script or kppp) I can't, the like falls up and the following msg
is posted on var/log/messages:
peer refused to authenticate
the problem is that my provider uses pap authetication, and kppp is
configured for pap (I even tried chap ant terminal based, but didn't
work too)
and it stills the same way...

could somebody help? it's been some time I want to get potato and I
can't ;)
I'm now donwloading form redhat the whole potato distrib., I mean,
I'm mirroring it (directories binary-all and binary-i386) and I'm almost
finishing it. When I finish I'll try connecting with potato, but I think
this
has nothing to do... it must be some configuration problem!

thanks anyway,
bye