Smail help needed from newbie

Hi, I'm new to Debian and am trying to get smail working (using Elm) on
2.1 Slink - standard install from CD's. I keep getting the message
cannot parse fully qualified domain. I filled in the name of my ISP
(lineone.net) for the smarthost part of the config (I also tried
smtp.lineone.net which got the same message). I'm a bit lost, here as
you'll see straightaway.
I have the DNS of the ISP in /etc/resolv.conf and can connect OK to the
net and send e-mail from netscape (please help me get smail working!).
Any information to get me on the right track much appreciated - or point
me to some info. I've read the man, which didn't mean much to me, and
the docs in /usr/doc - ditto. Is the smarthost my ISP and do I have to
configure another file or files somewhere to get smail working? Thanks.