Re: Mail refusing to leave my machine

On 15 Oct 1999, Dave Baker wrote:

Many thanks for this reply. I certainly need some help with this;
tearing out my hair in handfulls!

> Hi Anthony,
> I'm guessing somewhat here, since I've only used sendmail and exim, so
> smail might work differently.
>
> Here are a few comments that might help you in the right direction:
>
> - your /etc/resolv.conf looks broken - I don't think you can have more
> than 3 nameserver lines (or if you do, the rest are ignored).  do you have
> a mechanism to replace this depending on what service you dial?  I have
> scripts that run from /etc/ppp/ip-up.d and ip-down.d that change my
> resolv.conf depending on the network state ...

I suppose I could write a script to do it but it wouldn't really be
necessary; if I could persuade Freeserve to accept my mail I'd probably
use it most of the time.

> - your mail is probably sent according to the smarthost configured in
> smail.  when you change services you probably need to change this (and
> restart smail) so that you're not trying to relay mail from demon through
> freeserve and vice versa.

I'd thought of that; I tried changing smarthost and also omitting it
altogether; no joy.

> - nameservers don't normally need to be changed according to who you're
> dialed up with, but it's a nicety.  If you can 'nslookup
> mail.isp.hostname.whatever' then that doesn't need to be fiddled with.

That is very interesting; I assumed you did have to change accordingly.

> - from what I've seen, I'd certainly recommend exim.  smail is a fine
> mailer but since exim is the debian default you might find more people who
> are familiar with it.  I used sendmail for many years but since
> configuring exim I would never NEVER go back.

I may indeed try exim.  When I set up Slink smail was the default but I
gather things have changed since then.

Actually, I'm beginning to think that some of the problem may lie with
the Freeserve servers, since the freeserve help newsgroups seem to have
quite a few people complaining about difficulty sending mail from
various systems. Demon does work some of the time but Freeserve hardly
ever. (This is unfortunate because I was thinking of changing to
Freeserve as my main ISP.

Anyway, thanks indeed for your comments.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)