Re: Debian/Slink Connection Speed...too slow

    >> > mru 576 > mtu 576

    DCL> How much extra overhead does that have on large downloads (eg. all
    DCL> of SuSE)?  I'd like to set it for the easily intertwined packets
    DCL> (eg for games), but is it worth it for my download speed?

Not sure about that. I set the MTU to 576 on Windows NT and it improved
overall performance with the same ISP. So I decided to try the same number
for MTU and MRU on Linux as well. It seems to have helped.

Last night after setting the MRU and MTU to 576, I downloaded xmms and
netscape from unstable. Both of them require the installation of a number
of packges that I didn't have. It took about 20 minutes to download xmms
and all its required deps and about the same to download netscape-4.7 and
all its deps. The downloads definitely seemed faster with these new
settings.

I was also watching the average download speed/rate using "xnetload -if
ppp0" and I was averaging about 5.0K/s and my max was about 9.0K/s at one
point!! I have a 56k modem (not v.90).

You'll have to play around with the MTU/MRU settings to see what number
works best for you. I have heard that to some extent it also depends on
your ISP and how they have setup and configured their hardware. Check with
your ISP (if you are using one!!) to see what MRU/MTU settings they
recommend.

HTH,

--
Salman Ahmed