RE: OT - How to save real audio files?

On 12-Oct-99 Cyrus Patel wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> This is slightly offtopic, but I just downloaded Real Player and I was
> wondering if there was a way to save real audio file locally so I
> don't have to fire up my  ppp connection just to listen to .ram files.

It depends (aspects of this are covered in the RealPlayer documentation).

First of all, if the supplier of the RA file doesn't want it saved
or copied, you will not be able to do that. Such files carry some
sort of "signature" which RealPlayer recognises and honours.

For files which are not protected in this way, you may or may not be able
to save them or download them directly.

Some versions of RealPlayer have a "save" button which appears when
a file, which is being played, is not protected. You can use this to
save the file. Again, this is covered in the documentation.

When you get the ".ram" file from the supplying site, this usually
has a URL to the location of the .ra file (the actual audio file)
itself, similar to the following:

  pnm://broadcast9.activate.net/radiofree/channel1.rm

  pnm://ras.radio.cz/zpravy.ra

You will find, in the case of the first of these, that you cannot access
the site with a browser and therefore, as far as I know, you will not be
able to download the file directly using this URL. However, if you go to

  http://www.rferl.org

and poke about, you may be able to find the equivalent (and, in this
case, it takes a good deal of poking); in that case, you can download it
by ftp.

In the second case (if I remember right) you will be able to download
the file directly by ftp.

In summary: your mileage may vary. And in unpredictable ways.

> Also, is there a way to convert .rm files to wav?

I don't know the answer to that (and I wish I did).

Hope this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 12-Oct-99                                       Time: 14:00:09