Re: replacing debs with locally compiled packages

Jim wrote:
> This one's a quickie.  Seems to me that if I want to replace a package
> I've already installed with the distro (slink) with my own build of the
> source, I should just be able to remove (w/o purging configs) the package
> using dselect/dpkg and then go ahead and install my own build.

Do you mean that you wnat to build your own local .deb?  That will work
fine.  As long as you give it a rev number higher than that of the existing
package (you may want to use an epoch) there is no need to remove the
existing package: yours will replace it.

If you don't intend to build a deb, be sure and install the package in
/usr/local.  It won't satisfy any Debian dependencies, though.

> For example, right now I want to replace my Enlightenment 0.15 with the
> 0.16 source.  I'm expecting to be able to just remove the old package and
> install the new one by hand.

Download the Debian source package, replace the .15 source with the .16
source, up the rev number in debian/changelog, and build your new package.
See /usr/doc/developers-reference for details.
john@dhh.gt.org            Do with it what you will.