dpkg procedure

Hi,

I am a newbie and have never installed a .deb package by hand so I
am a bit weary a to proper procedure.
I understand the different steps involced in making the istallation
feasible, but I am rather apprehensive as to what will happen after
I complete the install.
For example:
If I do...

dpkg -i nmap_2.12-3.deb

...from a users home directory
will it install it and configure it properly, or will it install it
into that directory?  I have read the man
pages regarding this, but have been unable to determine if I am
going to make a mistake.

Is there anyone who can outline just the basics of the procedure and
perhaps some pitfalls to watch out for.
Thanks.
sincerely,

bwarsing.