Re: App for creating .deb files from perl Modules

> If the perl module is from CPAN, you can just about take the debian
> directory from any debianized CPAN perl module and make it work with a
> minimum of changes.
>
> libnet-telnet-perl is the one i used when i did this. YMMV.
Here is my problem. Maybe you can suggest a way around it. I have a very
stable Slink production server that I host a web site on. I was trying
to implement a shopping cart system, MiniVend, and get it to run using
.dbf (Xbase) files. It requires several perl modules that are not
available in Debian. They are available from CPAN. When I installed the
needed modules the installation suggested that I rm some xxxx.pm files.
I noticed that they were necessary to keep MANY Debian dependencies
satisfied, but I removed them anyway. Then thinking I should try to
clean up the installation I tested what would happen if I removed all of
the offending xxx.pm files via dselect and saw that it would totrally
hose my system so I retreated. Now I think I want to simply try to build
my own .deb modules instead of using CPAN unless there is some way to
make dselect & apt recognize that the required packages are installed,
though not where debian expects them.Any suggestions are greatyly
appreciated. I am just beginning to learn perl and am bowled over by
what can be done with it. This is still a "production" server so I must
be cautious.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems