making device /dev/sr0 (bug 32723) any workaround?

Hello,

While searching the net to dig deeper into my recently posted
PCMCIA-SCSI -> JVC XR-W2040 problem, it appears that the
/dev/sr0 device can't be "made" using MAKEDEV sr0 from /dev...

Is there a workaround for this?  I read that the "normal" methods
of configuring SCSI CDROMs do not work for PCMCIA-based SCSI devices,
so I'm very confused as to what my next step(s) are to continue to
try and get this CDROM working.

Again, this is vanilla 2.1 debian.

I would appreciate any advice, pointers to info, etc...

Frustrated but determined,

John