netatalk dependencies

I am upgrading to potato a few pieces at a time. I just tried to update
netatalk (with apt-get install netatalk) and it seemed to update it ok
but the daemons won't start now. Here is the problem:

Starting AppleTalk daemons (this will take a while):AppleTalk not up! Child died
.
 atalkdbind: Cannot assign requested address
bind: Cannot assign requested address
/usr/sbin/afpd: error in loading shared libraries: /usr/sbin/afpd: undefined sym
bol: _dialowermap
 afpd papd.

I fell back to the slink version and it works again.

When I installed the new one, apt-get told me this:

owl:/home/root# apt-get install netatalk
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libpam0g-util
  libpam-modules libpam-runtime
2 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 143 not upgraded.
Need to get 437kB of archives. After unpacking 139kB will be used.

so it seems to have handled the known dependencies but apparently there
is something else it needs.  Anybody know?

-- Mark