Re: Printer suggestion

Manuel Arenaz Silva wrote:

> Justin Settle wrote:
>
> > For an ink jet, however, I own and Epson and, IMHO, they make a better
> > product.  They are a bit cheaper, but built just as well, have high res
> > and are pretty fast.  You mention higher cost to maintain (what are you
> > referring to?) but I don't see that.  I have a 440 and it works very
> > well for color printing; If you have money, buy something with a faster
> > pages per minute.  I mention this because the 440 is about the same
> > price as the bottom of the line HP but that model has only one cartridge
> > - i.e. you can only do black and white or color.  The 440 has a CMYK
> > with a K cartridge and a CMY cartridge.
>
> I work with an Epson Stylus Color 850 at work. We have a lot of problems with the ink
> cartridges because the printer wastes a lot of ink (for example, it cleans the injectors
> on every startup by using quite much ink).
>
> Besides, epson inkjet printers have a problem with injectors. In HP the injectors come
> together with the cartridge, so every time you change the cartridges you are changing the
> injectors. In Epson, if the printer is not used quite often (THIS IS MY CASE), the
> injectors stall and they stop working. Therefore, the injectors have to be changed.
>
> I have collected this information by asking to several friends and sellers. The
> characteristics explained above, finally, lead to "higher cost maintenance".
>
> What do you think about this?
>
>                 Manuel Arenaz

I thought you were referring to day to day upkeep, not long term
possible problems.  I've never had a problem of the jets clogging on me
yet the printer is very new so . . .   But after reading more of what
you have read it seems that you are buying this for a different reason
then me.  I have access to a laserjet downstairs.  The color printer is
just to print out short messages or the occasional picture; the laserjet
for everything else.  And  I also consider this inkjet a temporary
solution.  I find inkjets slow and messy and as the price on color laser
printers drops I get more and more inclined to buy them.  As you have a
good knowledge of the HP advantages over Epson, you're better off to
make the decision.  Whatever you get, good luck with it.

Justin