Re: Sound Config Probs

I guess the post 2.0 kernels handle this differently.
I know that if you use 2.0.3x the isapnp runs AFTER
the kernel inits built-in's but BEFORE modules are
loaded.  The best thing would be for the driver to do
the pnp stuff itself which is how (I think) it happens
in windows.  I'll have to revist this sound config
stuff when I move to 2.2.1x (I'm waiting for 2.2.13
since 2.2.12 STILL has some bad bugs in it.  Come on
Allen!)

--- iehrenwald@earthlink.net wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
>
> > I have compiled the sound support into my kernel
> for a
> > SB16 card also using isapnp.  A few points which I
> > noticed.
> >
> > 1. you MUST not compile INTO the kernel, make
> sound
> > drivers a module.  After installing your new
> kernel
>
> [snip]
>
> Not always true.  I have a Creative Labs AWE64 ISA
> PNP.  I use kernel
> 2.3.18ac10 and the built in isapnp routines.  I also
> compiled sound
> support INTO the kernel and it works fine.  The
> kernel iaspnp inits the
> card at bootup and then a few processes later the
> kernel sound finds the
> card and it works fine.
>
> Then again, not everyone likes using bleeding edge
> kernels.
>
> 		--Ian Ehrenwald

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!