Linux/GDI printers/Samba

Hi,

I would like to use my Linux server as a print server.  I have a Xerox Xe80
combined copier /printer.  The problem is it follows the GDI initiative.
This is where they design a printer that is so dumb you can't pipe text to
it and have it print.  They moved a good bit of intelligence from the
printer to the PC driver.  For this reason, the external print servers (I.e.
Intel netport, Netgear print server) will not work with this printer.

My question is regarding Samba sharing.  I don't have an urgent need to
print from the Linux server.  I was going to set up a raw print device to be
shared across the network.

Has anyone had any success setting up GDI printers through Linux?  I get the
impression the intelligence in the Xerox print driver must be directly
connected to the parallel port !  I called Xerox and they don't directly
support Linux.  Does anyone directly support Xerox ?

BTW>  Warning to all, these GDI printers are becomming more and more popular
as software (driver) is cheap when compared to manufacturing smarter
hardware.  Networking can only be done via a PC/Windows with a printer
share.  (unless we hear differently ...)

thanks in advance,

paul

   Double E Solutions     Attn: Paul McHale
   4912 Effingham Dayton, Ohio 45431
   pmchale@doubleesolutions.com

   Work:   937-253-7610
   Mobile: 937-371-2828