Modem + setserial + minicom problems

Hi DebianUsers,
I have installed slink on my 486 last night..The kernel can't recognize the modem. When I ran minicom, all it says is
Serial operation not supported by ttyS3. The modem is jumper configured for ttyS3.
If I do a setserial -a ttyS3, I get the same reply..
Can some one figure out a solution.
This is my third time installing DEbian. The first 2 times, I didn't have this problem and I was using the same modem then as now..Also, then at boot time, the kernel would give a message like:
Configuring serial ports..
ttyS0 is  a  xxx UART
ttyS1 is a ..xxx UART
ttyS2 is a.. xxx UART
ttyS3 is a .. xxx UART
But I don't get this massage any more..All I get is Configuring serial ports...done
Also when I do a minicom -s, it shows ttyS3 as the serial device.
I did a ls /dev/ttyS*
All the ttyS* are dial out or so ls tells me..
Please, please help me..
Thanks so much.
Michelle

--