Re: eth0: unknown interface...

> I have installed the debian base system on a laptop, but now I need to
> install the rest over a network (from another brilliant working Debian
> machine). For this to work, I must get the pcmcia network card working...

I just realised, I think I didn't make use of the menu item "Configure
PCMCIA Support". Is there an easy way of configuring PCMCIA support for
installation once I've already installed the base system? Can I run
dbootstrap again? Where do I get it (the boot disks aren't mountable,
right?) Or is it easier to reinstall from scratch?

> I installed the same kernel package I installed on anther laptop, and the
> pcmcia-modules package that was compiled with it, and am using the same
> network card. However, even with this kernel, eth0 is still an unknown
> device. How does Debian Linux get to know eth0? I though it was only in
> the kernel, but clearly it isn't. Or what modules must I load with
> modprobe?

As I just mentioned, I think the pcmcia card isn't properly
configured/initialised.

Thanks in advance,
Hugo van der Merwe
--