Re: HP 890C printing

Quoting Jose L Gomez Dans (j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk):
> Hi!
> 	I got hold of an HP 890C colour deskjet printer. However, I can't
> print to it. I'm using the hpdj driver in gs-aladdin 5.50, and according to
> the man page, it should print flawlessly. I am aware that other drivers are
> available for this printer, but this would need a re-compilation of
> ghostscript, and I haven't got the time (or the hard drive, for that
> matter!) to do this.
>
> 	Does anyone have any suggestions onto this one? Since I don't
> usually use this printer, I made a small filter that calls gs. This looks
> like this:
> #!/bin/sh
> #A filter for the HP 890C
> /usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=hpdj -sModel=unspec -sColourMode=CMYK \
> -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- -
> (the "\" is for your enjoyment :D)
>
> 	This script is used as follows:
> cat file.ps | filter > file.dj,
> which can then be printed by using either lpr or cat file.dj > /dev/lp0 (no
> need to spool here so far).
>
> 	What comes out of this is a garbled output of one line of greek
> symbols reminiscent of the days of dot matrix printers :)

I use one or two extra options with my 895c, but also run it through
lpr/magic-filter so you'll have to extract the parameters from my
gs-aladdin filter file:

# PostScript

0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE \
-r300 -sDEVICE=hpdj -sModel=unspec -sColorMode=CMYK -sMediaType=plain \
-sPrintQuality=draft -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2

0       \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE \
-r300 -sDEVICE=hpdj -sModel=unspec -sColorMode=CMYK -sMediaType=plain \
-sPrintQuality=draft -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2

# PDF

0       %PDF            fpipe   /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE \
-r300 -sDEVICE=hpdj -sModel=unspec -sColorMode=CMYK -sMediaType=plain\
 -sPrintQuality=draft -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" $FILE 3>&1 1>&2

I find the dj550c filter suggested earlier is far too inky. Change
draft to normal or best (and set up two queues) if you find draft
is *too* light. The last saves a lot of ink, though.

(One day I'll sit down and try to parse all that output redirection!)

Cheers,