eth0: unknown interface...

Hello,

I have installed the debian base system on a laptop, but now I need to
install the rest over a network (from another brilliant working Debian
machine). For this to work, I must get the pcmcia network card working...

I installed the same kernel package I installed on anther laptop, and the
pcmcia-modules package that was compiled with it, and am using the same
network card. However, even with this kernel, eth0 is still an unknown
device. How does Debian Linux get to know eth0? I though it was only in
the kernel, but clearly it isn't. Or what modules must I load with
modprobe?

Thanks in advance,
Hugo van der Merwe
--