Re: Best API for g++?

>      What's the best API (GUI) for writing/generating C/C++
> code in Linux X Windows, in your opinions?  I need some suggestions
> or recommendations from those of you who have used them.

Two of the most popular these days seem to be Qt (C++) and GTK+ (C).  I
like Qt - the programs I create are easier to follow and understand, and
C++ seems like a better way to build GUIs than C.  It's also better
documented than GTK+ (GTK+, last I checked, didn't have any documentation.
>From the looks of the web site, that's being changed), which leads to Qt
being easier to use.

The address for these toolkits:
 * Qt: http://www.troll.no
 * GTK+: http://www.gtk.org

[no Qt vs GTK flames, please!]

Also note that there is a C++ framework for GTK+ called Gtk-- that very
closely resembles Qt.  The address for that is:
http://lazy.ton.tut.fi/terop/iki/gtk/gtk--.html

>      Also, what's the command and arguments for compiling
> "hello world" in Linux with g++ (just to get me started)?

Assume your source file is called hello.cpp:

g++ -s hello.cpp -o hello

The parameters:
 -s: strips debugging information.  Putting in '-g' instead of '-s' will
     tell the compiler to put in debugging information.
 -o: tells the compiler the name of the output file.  If you don't tell it
     the name of the output file, you'll end up with the file 'a.out' as
     your executable.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein