Re: X for Win95

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Jon Hughes wrote:
> I've been working on my Linux box here at work from my windows computer
> (easier to telnet into rather then move around and stuff).  This is fine and
> dandy, but I've been told there is a way you can actually get the X
> server/KDE stuff to work remotly, through a Xwindow on Win95 or something
> like that.

I have used Xwin and it is an excellent product but its a bit expensive if
you decide to by the full version (the free demo only runs on one machine
per suibnet by the way).

MIX I found to frustrating to use regularly as it dosn't offer enough
configuration options.

I have recently been playing with XVNC, its diferent to MIX and XWIN
as it uses its own protcol and connects to your "desktop" and not
via XDM this might rule it out for you but it is a free alternative that
might work.
Also it only sends screen updates over the network which means
  its good on low bandwidth connections.
  its bad for graphicly intensive stuff.

I had to find a way to admin 2 NT servers and 2 debian boxes from one
workstation (they are spread around an inconvienient physical area) and I
am now using debian on my desktop computer and XVNC to connect to my
desktops on the NT servers (there are many platforms supported by VNC).

It works great!

-----Gareth