Re: Getting The Most Out Of APT

[oops! I meant to send this message to the list!]

Since we are all sharing, here is my /etc/apt/sources.list:

# Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
# your mirror contains.
# deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable updates
deb http://www.netgod.net/ x/

Anyone care to explain why I should use ftp instead of http ?
I connect the old-fashioned way : 56k dialup access using PPP :)

Anyone care to recommend improvements to this ?

In the case of the above when stable and unstable are mixed
together, packages from stable get priority since there version
numbering is higher than the ones from stable and so they are
'preferred'. This is what I have observed when I am installing
packages via apt-get install.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT interlog DOT com