Re: Getting The Most Out Of APT

Ross,

Well, APT seems to be fairly intelligent in how it handles this
particular file anyway.  Once I did the update I did an
apt-get upgrade -s just to see what it would do.   It held back
like 197 packages and updated 127 existing ones.  Most
of the ones held back seemed to be involved with actually
upgrading from slink to potato.  I suspect that if I had issued
the command apt-get dist-upgrade it would have done more
along the lines of actually upgrading from slink to potato.

If one does want to completely upgrade the OS from stable
to the unstable branch, would apt-get dist-upgrade actually
do that, or would some other procedure need to be
done also?  or manually, thru dselect? (shudder).  ;)

Todd

Thanks for posting this.

When one lists both stable and unstable distributions, who wins (for
example, if you use the automatic update procedure)?

I might want to get a thing or two off unstable, but I don't want to just
pull everything since it might be, well, unstable :)