fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

Hi,

I have been playing with my system and have somehow either broken exim or
fetchmail.  When I try to do fetchmail it comes up with:

# fetchmail
fetchmail: 19 messages for mark at adam.ist.flinders.edu.au (50738
octets).
fetchmail: reading message 1 of 19 (2154 octets) . (log message
incomplete)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
adam.ist.flinders.edu.au
fetchmail: Query status=10

Now I can't work out what I could have done to affect this.  Some time ago
I upgraded a few of my packages to potato ones.  I decided today to
downgrade my system back to slink (along with slink-proposed-updates and
slink version of xfree 3.3.4).  There doesn't seem to be any easy way of
doing this so I used dpkg to manually fix things, and then ran
  apt-get dist-upgrade
just to make sure everything was okay.

What can the problem be?  Any ideas?  Please cc a copy of any reply,
directly to me thanks, as I am currently unable to be subscribed to the
list.

Thanks,

Mark.