Re: multihost exim setup (general MTA question I guess)

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 10:53:54PM -0400, Jonathan Lupa wrote:
> OK, this is pretty complicated to me, so the chance of me misspeaking is
> large.

I'm no expert, so the same goes for me.

> What I want is the server to do the fetchmail durring ip-up and ip-down.
> That mail getting delivered to the servers MTA, and then the servers MTA
> to be smart enough to deliver appropriate mail to the workstation. Also,

Try using this in the servers exim.conf:

local_domains = *.mynetwork

> I need outbound mail on the workstation to keep going (maybe send it off
> to the server where it is spooled until ip-up, when it gets send out.

host_accept_relay = *.mynetwork   (again, in server's exim.comf)

As far as I understand what your after, you then want to run exim.conf
on your workstation and set it up as a `sattelite' system, so that
outgoing messages are sent to your server (this will also rewrite the
headers to say they are from server.mynetwork).

Also, you may want to read

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue42/stumpel.html

I have rewritten the `outfilt' script that this URL talks about so that
the From: field is obtained from an email-alias file (clobbering the mail
reader's alias<myaddr> to guard against accidental changes). Also, the
CC:'s and To: headers processing is a little more sophisticated to
ensure it will work under a variety of conditions. I will stick it on the
web in a few days if anyone is interested.

HTH,

Mark.