Opening dynamic text file

Hi,

Apols for the non debian specific Q, but I was hoping someone would
know how I could read in and process a file (a log file in this case),
and then when further lines are written read these without reloading
the whole file (performance considerations).

I thought that (using perl) continually open()ing the file without
close()ing would do the trick as the line number is not reset, but this
didn't work.

Any ideas? (or shouldn't log files be abused in this manner?)

Thanks,

Mark.

PS. Any language: python, perl, C ... - it doesn't matter.
    (Well possibly with the exception of Miranda:)